Het magazine voor Natuurfotografen

Nederpix.nl Forum Index -> Optische apparatuur

Winter vacation in Jackson Hole/Yellowstone – Lens ideas

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Author

PostPosted: Thu 30 May 2013, 15:50    Post subject:
Winter vacation in Jackson Hole/Yellowstone – Lens ideas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My family and I are planning a trip to Jackson Hole, Wyoming for our first ever winter/ski/snowmobile vacation. I have a 7D and my current lens collection is Tamron 28-75, Canon EF-S 15-85, and Canon 70-300 (non-L). I have gotten some great pictures with the 70-300, but feel I have out grown it. Between now and the vacation, I will probably purchase 1 new lens and am not opposed to renting an additional lens or so for the trip. I feel I’m covered on the wide end but want to upgrade the long end. I’ve gone back and forth on the 100-400L and this is what I am currently thinking…

• Purchase 70-200 F4 IS – Based on what I’ve seen and read this appears to be just a GREAT lens. Add a 1.4 TC and you are still getting equal or better IQ than the 100-400 at 280/300MM. This combo also looks to be on par with the 70-300 L at the long end.
• Purchase or rent 1.4TC – The Canon III looks real good matched with the 70-200 F4 IS, but any other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.
• Rent Canon 300MM F4 IS or 400MM F5.6 NON-IS – The 300MM/1.4TC combo would give me 420MM on the long end with IS. The 400MM is larger than the 300MM and does not have IS. However, the 400MM IQ is stellar and all things being equal will be somewhat better than the 300MM/1.4TC combo. Hopefully, there are POTN members that have experience with both and can provide some insight.

I really wish Canon would upgrade the 100-400, but this will probably not happen between now and December, if ever. A snowmobile tour deep into Yellowstone is when I will probably want the most reach.

One last thing, for the snowmobile tour I am looking for a bag/carrier that will be somewhat compact (as much as it can be) but still hold 7d/15-85/70-200/300MM or 400MM. This is one reason I wish they would upgrade the 100-400. Any recommendations would be really helpful!!

Thanks in advance for suggestions. What am I missing?

peter wijn

PostPosted: Thu 30 May 2013, 19:28    Post subject:
@momo
check www.photozone.de for reviews of these lenses. and check birdpix.nl for experience with those lenses.

I don't think you will be disappointed from any choice. Although I think for a tour on snowmobile, probably the zoom will be most valuable. It is not all about image quality.

sounds like a great journey.

@Moderatoren, ik denk dat Momo een nieuw draadje had willen aanmaken? effe regelen en een pb-tje er bij voor deze gewaardeerde mens?

Nederpix.nl Forum Index -> Optische apparatuur

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: